A new twist on an old classic for rich bold flavor.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
- 1 lb ground Italian Sausage
- Oven-Ready lasagna noodles (enough for a 9 by 13 pan with high sides- I used almost 2 boxes of DeBoles GF noodles)
- 1 and 1/2 jars of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 32 oz can of diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 Tablespoon each:
- Dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic granules
- 1 – 10 oz container Trazza Toum
- 1 – 20 oz container ricotta cheese or non dairy cheese of choice ( I used Kite Hill almond cream cheese)
- 1/2 cup shredded hard cheese of your choice (we like Machego – it’s delicious and easy on the stomach)
- In a large Dutch Oven, blend the meats together and break into small bits while cooking over a medium high flame.
- Once meat is cooked, add the marinara sauce and tomatoes and mix well.
- Then, add the herbs and spices and mix.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, cover and lower the heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once 30 minutes have past, scoop a small amount of meat sauce into the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan, totally coating the bottom in a thin layer.
- Cover this with one layer of noodles.
- Scoop a generous amount of meat sauce over the noodles, spreading it out evenly.
- Then, spread a layer of your ricotta or nondairy cheese and cover with another layer of noodles.
- Cover this layer with meat sauce and a thin layer of Trazza Toum (a little goes a long way).
- Finally, add one more layer of noodles and meat sauce. Sprinkle the top with shredded hard cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil.
Wait 30 minutes to serve.